Wiley’s Tavern played an important role in the Southern Campaign. Built circa 1770 and located approximately six miles west of Boyd’s Ferry, Wiley's Tavern was a rudimentary log structure measuring only 20 by 24 feet. Set on a foundation of fieldstones, it had a single “common” room on the first floor and an overhead loft that provided sleeping quarters for travelers.
Despite being typical of lodging establishments that dotted early eighteenth century state coach routes in sparely settled areas of Virginia, Wiley’s Tavern played a significant rold in Revolutionary War history. It served alternately as the headquarters of British General Charles Cornwallis (February 15, 16, and 17) and American General Nathanael Greene (February 23) during the decisive Crossing of the Dan Campaign in February 1781.
Tavern owner William Wiley came to Halifax County in the mid-eighteenth century and began operating an ordinary in January 1771. Tavern guests were probably tended to by members of Wiley’s family. The foundation is no longer visible and a field of pines and undergrowth covers the site. In 1980, Wiley’s Tavern was listed in the Virginia Landmarks Registry.